What to look for when choosing your next Australorp.
Australorps are beautiful birds with a kind graceful nature although if they are mixed with other birds this can change their disposition making them better flyers, more flighty and even more aggressive. This is why I choose pure Bred Australorps.
Unfortunately, the state of affairs in Australia at the moment means that even when someone has sold the chicken as a purebred it doesn’t necessarily mean it is.
Here is a list of things to look out for when choosing a feathered lady Australorp friend.
- The comb: The comb is the red pointy thing on the top of their head. It should point straight up, no flopping to the side and should have 4 to 6 points.
- Legs and Feet: She will have Black legs with white underside of her feet and white toenails. They should have four toes.
- Beak: Beak is black with an off white tip to white tip.
- Body: The head should be higher than the tail with nice balance. The line running down the back should be a lovely sweeping curve, no jutting angles. The breast should be round and sweeping not bulging.
- Eyes: Should be expressive and large, dark brown or black.
- Tail: The tail should be compact in both the male and the female.
- Feathers: The feathers should have a beautiful beetle green glow only fluffy around the thighs.
If you are looking to learn more about Australorps and what they are supposed to look like please refer to the Australorp standards 2nd edition.